Jefferson Elementary School opened up for the first time in 1906 on property the Tacoma Public Schools purchased for just $300. Almost 100 years later, the original building was torn down and a state-of-the-art new school was built from the ground up on that $300 plot of land.
It opened in September 2004.
From Porter Brothers Construction, builders of the new school: New construction of a 52,000 sq ft elementary school. This steel structure with a brick veneer exterior is a long awaited project of the Tacoma School District. The construction also includes a two story classroom wing with a structural block gym.